Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Observations of a non-parent

Being childless myself, I take pleasure in observing the interactions between parents and their children. I am often awed by the sheer responsibility these mere humans take on whenever they give birth to a child. How do they decide what to do in even the smallest of situations like answering the question, "Can I spent the night with Susie?" much less the huge ones that often never come in the form of a verbalized question.

This morning as I was walking my substitute for a child -- my dog -- children all over the neighborhood were waiting for the school bus. Some of the high school students were all dressed up for what seemed to be an awards ceremony. They all looked bright and shiny.

It occurred to me as I approached one bus stop after another that in addition to the children, there was a group of parents also waiting there, watching over their children, sending them off with hugs and kisses. It made me think of my own school days. My sister and cousins and I, we walked to the bus stop all by our lonesome. We fought our own battles with the neighbor kids. Whatever happened, we were on our own.

Now the people of my generation have grown up and had kids of their own, and they apparently have determined that rather that throwing their kids to the wolves to fend for themselves, they are going to be there to protect them, to show them they are loved, and to make sure nothing happened to them.

Knowing that life goes in cycles, I wonder how this generation of kids will grow up to raise their own children? It's an interesting thought to ponder.

1 comment:

BizyLizy said...

Oh, I love this post! I am always intrigued with the cycles of life.

Last year, when my son turned 19, he called me and said "Hey, mom...you were 19 when you had me, right?"

It was like he had suddenly gained perspective, and history was staring him in the face. It humbled him as he expressed his gratitude, acknowledging I was so young and had given up alot of my freedom. I simply told him, "It was hard work, sweetie, but never, never for a moment did I regret it."

And then silently, I told him...someday you'll know...

Blessings, Sweet Rae!