Monday, December 31, 2007

My word for the new year

So, instead of making New Year's Resolutions this year, I was inspired by a post by MPJ over at A Room of Mama's Own to choose a word to focus on in the new year -- something of a mantra. (I see that she posted her own very inspiring word today!)

After careful consideration, introspection, and some fervent prayer, I have chosen the word "connect." In the new year, I want to connect to myself, my spiritual self, my body, my friends, my family, my husband, the people and the things in the world around me. Over the past few years, for a variety of reasons that honestly are unimportant, I have slowly disconnected myself from so many things and I have come to feel very alone and empty. This has fueled depression and unhappiness. However, at my core is much love, much happiness, a love to laugh and learn and be a part of the world. I want to reconnect to that part of me by focusing my attention and intentions on connecting to all that is within me and around me. I considered the word "kindness" and that may still be a secondary word (kindness to myself, my body, my spirit, to others), but connect seems to be the one that resonates as a "focus" word. This certainly feels more manageable and doable than a long list of things that I've tried over and over again to no avail.

I also heard something else that I hope I can call to memory many times in the new year this morning. It was a phrase I had heard a few times before, but it seemed to speak to me this morning. "Everything, absolutely everything, is subject to change, except God." Wow. My Higher Power, whom I call God but who "looks" nothing at all like the God of most of the religious and secular world "visualizes," it is a spiritual force that guides the universe of my life. To focus on the fact that absolutely EVERYTHING in my life, my addiction, my depression, even my marriage, my friendships, my health, my relationships with my family, EVERY single thing is subject to change, but the one thing that is not subject to change is that spirit of life that lives in me and connects me to every other living thing in the world ... I love that.

6 comments:

bella said...

May this coming year be one of true and deep and abiding connection for you.
May you feel all parts of yourself connected and whole and may you know and experience yourself as connected to a greater power and the lives and hearts of others.

Anonymous said...

I liked this post and your word for 2008. Just think of how you connect with your blog. Hmmm...I may have to think of my own word.

Spanish Kitchenette said...

Yes, and you know another one: "anything is indispensable" ;-)

Have a good 2008 start!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Oo, that's a good word. A Connected New Year to you! :) I like having a word to focus on. One day in, happiness is working well for me.

Summer said...

That is such a great idea. My mind is wandering all around to think of a word for me. Hmmm...

Happy New Year Rae!

Judith said...

Wow. Connect is a great one. I chose balance. I don't know if I am ready to choose connect. Hopefully longterm I will. You're brave to tackle that one. It's a big step - you should be proud of yourself for making that declaration. (kindness to yourself backing that up is a good plan)